MLB NEWS

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

So, what the fuck are we gonna do?

I mean, fahk. So, July 23rd is night one - Yankees-Nationals and Dodgers-Giants kick off a 60-game season. So, we need to draft before then. Couple things I wanna throw out there right off the bat...

1. If we did head to head, that would only be 6 match-ups. So, you obviously wouldn't play everyone else in the league.
2. There are players deciding not to play. No big splashes yet, but, if Mike Trout decides to sit out, well, John will finally get what he has deserved all along...
3. A 7-day IL stint is missing one eighth of the season.
4. A 10 save season would be a really, really good season.
5. If a player tests positive, I'm assuming he's going to have to quarantine for two weeks. That's a quarter of the season.
6. The odds that the MLB gets through this 60-game prayer unscathed, with no marquee players, or entire teams for that matter, dropping out, would be a miracle.

I'm not going to avoid infusing this post with my personal opinion. Obviously that being said, this will all come down to a vote as we do live in a democratic league. I'm going to lay out a couple of options that I think are viable, with different iterations of them, that we can all add to / take away from.


OPTION NUMBER 1: Do nothing.
We could just, go. Keep all our draft picks, keep all our keepers. Just, business as usual.

1b. We make 3 divisions - you play each team in your division twice. Winners of each division enter a four-team, playoff for the last two weeks - semi-final and final.

1c. We switch it to a rotisserie league. We would have the full 8 weeks of the season. Little more straightforward.

1d. Keep the keepers, push the draft picks to next year. My draft picks suck, so I don't really care. But, if I was top loaded in the draft, and I was expecting to pick a super cool team that I was only going to have for 8 weeks, I'd be annoyed. There's sooo much up in the air, with so much that could go wrong. But, that's just my take on the situation.


OPTION NUMBER 2: One year fresh start and pick it all up in 2021.
As promised, I'm going to infuse my personal opinion, and this is my vote. 100%. My first thought is an argument around keeping the integrity of the league, and ironically I think that could be used to argue both sides of this. However, I think trying to keep all the things that make our league awesome, and applying it to this sad little 60-game season.... we would lose more for the following seasons than we would gain this year. Again, that's just my opinion. What does this look like you ask?

- No keepers. Randomly picked snake draft order. All pick new teams.
- Rotisserie. You can see variations of how we could play in OPTION NUMBER 1, but my vote would be rotisserie. Although, I did come up with that division thing off the cuff as I was writing this and, that feels kinda fun too.
- All keepers and draft picks carry over to the next season.

Essentially, nothing about our league to this point will affect what we do this year, and nothing we do this year will affect our league in 2021.

One important question I see coming up here is, can I change the keepers I locked in for this season prior to the start of next season based on my 2019 roster? My thought would be, for sure. Cause like, someone could retire, or super duper suck, or get traded to a bad situation... I mean all the things. So, I think we would have to re-open keeper decisions from 2019 rosters. But, I'm not too mad about that...


OPTION NUMBER 3: Go straight draft kings with it.
Hear me out...
This is going to be a shit show. Players are going to get small injuries and cost them the season. Players are going to get quarantined. Players getting off to slow start translates into a terrible season. I honestly think a baseball team is going to get removed from the season at some point because they have too many players test positive. More than one of us are going to draft a team full of nightmare situations with four weeks to fix it, which isn't enough time.... I'm just thinking out loud. But, this would be my thought....

1. Beginning of every week, everybody drafts a team. People can have the same players - doesn't matter. Draft Kings style.
2. We either do roto or points. This would not be a week-to-week thing. All roto stats or points would add up over the course of the season. However, you get a fresh start every week by picking new players.
3. I imagine we could set up a league on draftkings that would be weekly, and then I could tally all the scores in a spreadsheet or in this blog every week.


I am very open to any input / entire other options. You guys can send it to the GroupMe or just text me directly. I'm going to leave everyone with a couple other thoughts...


- Do we take the season into the playoffs. Something like, top four teams, re-draft players that are on playoff teams. Roto / points the whole way. Or something different. But, there are options.
- Given the short season, Saves + Holds seems like a really good idea. Even if we just do it this year and then vote on it on a permanent basis for 2021, I think saves are going to be a joke in 2020.
- What do we wanna do about the buy-in? Cause, $150 each is a lot for an 8-week season with a lot of unpredictable factors. I'm a degenerate so, I don't really care, but it seemed inappropriate not to bring up.
- As strange as this all is, at least there is going to be baseball again in three weeks!!

Finally, we need to find a draft date. We're obviously not all getting together. But, I find it hard to believe we can't all carve out a couple hours between now and July 23rd where we can sit and draft. Can people send me a general idea of what their strange Covid day-to-day lives are like so I can start to make sense of what could work and what couldn't... and we'll go from there.

Can't wait for my July 23rd boner.

No comments:

Post a Comment